What we read this week (23 Feb 2018)

Welcome to Things we read this week, a weekly post featuring articles from around the internet recommended by BMJ’s Digital Group members. These are articles we’ve read and liked, things that made us think and things we couldn’t stop talking about. Check back every Friday for a new post.

  • Tony Haile: there’s no hero business model that’s going to save everyone (not even Scroll)
    “Most attempts to build a new business model for news have been created by people like us — the media addicts — for people who behave like us. They’ve held content up as a unique and differentiated snowflake to which consumers will pay for access. And that is true — for 2 percent of your audience. If we want to create a business model for news that reaches the other 98 percent, we have to deal with how people are and not how we want them to be. These consumers are often predominantly mobile, socially driven, and aren’t going to change how they discover content by going through a new app. They often don’t know which site they are on, but they know the kind of experience they want no matter where they are. They don’t have a strong enough brand affinity for any one site, but sense that something is broken on the web.”
  • Think You’re Immune to Advertising? Think Again
    With literally thousands of ads hitting us every day, it’s impossible to avoid being influenced.


Visit Pubtechgator to find more publishing technology news stories.

Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Baskerville 2 by Anders Noren.

Up ↑